Jazz/funk/soul outfit The Robert Glasper Experiment had a breakthrough last year with the album Black Radio. The set boasted an array of guests (from Mos Def and Lupe Fiasco to Lalah Hathaway and Musiq) and some choice covers (Bowie’s “Letters to Hermione” and Sade’s “Cherish The Day.” The set sold well, and probably most importantly, won Glasper and his crew the Grammy for Best R&B Album of 2012.
I wasn’t expecting a follow-up to arrive so soon, but it looks like Black Radio 2 will arrive on October 29th. Maybe I’m stuck in the ’90s and still expect artists to wait 3 years or more between albums, but this is a very satisfying development. Less covers-heavy than its predecessor, Black Radio 2 is just as star-studded. Lupe and Lalah make return appearances, while other guests range from newcomer Emeli Sande to Fall Out Boy’s Patrick Stump to actor and part time bass player (betcha didn’t know that!) Malcolm-Jamal Warner.
This might just be my most anticipated release of the 4th quarter. It’s certainly up there. While counting the days until October, why don’t you check out “Calls,” the first single, which features sultry vocals from Jill Scott, as well as the track listing below.
1. Baby Tonight (Black Radio Intro)
2. I Stand Alone featuring Common and Patrick Stump
3. What Are We Doing featuring Brandy
4. Calls featuring Jill Scott
5. No Worries featuring Dwele
6. Trust featuring Marsha Ambrosius
7. Yet To Find featuring Anthony Hamilton
8. You Own Me featuring Faith Evans
9. Let It Ride featuring Norah Jones
10. Persevere featuring Snoop Dogg and Lupe Fiasco
11. Somebody Else featuring Emeli Sandé
12. Jesus Children of America featuring Lalah Hathaway and Malcolm-Jamal Warner